The grill cloth is horse hair. The horse hair is glued together and pressed into a flat mat. It is starting to shed, so I trimmed it a bit and then re-coated it with Elmer's glue mixed with water. Seems to be staying together for the moment.
I drew a schematic which more or less represents this amp. I have gotten it to work, but it still is not exactly right - the 6SJ7 plate voltage is too high at 166V - should be about half that. I think I need to add another voltage dropping resistor/capacitor to the power rail. The amp was oscillating quite a bit, but I seem to have tamed that with the 10 pF cap on the input. The amp has no NFB, so I may add one, perhaps switchable. I may also add Grid stoppers and Screen-Grid stoppers. We'll see...
The transformers were rusty, but the rust was not between the laminations, so I just cleaned them and shellaced the core and windings. The chassis is very corroded, but I left it the way it was. Meh. Two inputs for guitar, and one for microphone. I love the musical notes flanking the name:
♫ Magnatone Melodier ♫
The circuit is point-to-point - all the components are soldered to each other, and there are very few actual "wire" runs.
I replaced all the filter caps. all the tubular caps, many of the antique resistors, all the potentiometers, and a couple of tubes. The 6V6 cans were actually pretty good.
This 1947 Magnatone "Melodier" was in very rough shape when I got it. Rusty, dusty, and not working.
Try as I might, there is no schematic available for this amp. I think that Magnatone changed things on the fly at this point of their manufacture. It has a 5Y3 rectifier, a 6SJ7 preamp (a pentode), a 67SL7 driver, and two metal 6V6s. All the tubes are metal except the 6SL7 and the 5Y3 , which are GT (glass tube).
It is a very cool looking amp.
This is a "Deluxe" Melodier M-195-5-J. But, unlike the data sheet at the left, it does not have two 6SL7s, but one 6SL7 and one 6SJ7 in the preamp section. Forensic analysis indicates that this is the way it came from the factory.